Thursday, June 5, 2008

How do you eat an Elephant?

Things are changing so fast in our business that it is getting very hard to keep up. New Technology, New Service Offerings, New Tools and New economic challenges! How do you keep all of these things straight as well as manage them? Really, how do you do it? The answer (for me anyway) is you can’t. Not all at the same time. One of my programmers showed me something called a Recursion Function. The concept is that you write a function that calls itself inside of itself. The idea is to take a complex problem and reduce it down to a simpler problem. Solve it one step at a time inside itself and then move on to the next. What a concept!

The problem for me is that I get so caught up in trying to do it all right now that I end up spinning my wheels! That is when the frustration and stress comes in to play and the problems compound. Take a step back, break it down, solve it one step at a time and get help when you need it. (Insert plug for HTG here) Having the responsibility to do everything doesn’t mean we have the ability. So for what it is worth if you are feeling overwhelmed you‘re not alone! So to answer the question in the title, just cut that steak into smaller bites, add plenty of ketchup and invite some folks for dinner!! Enjoy.

No comments: